Date:      Fri, 16 May 1997 09:21:47 -0600
From:      Blaine Minazzi <bminazzi@denverweb.net>
To:        isp@freeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: radius, usr total control and freebsd

Steve wrote:

> > Ultimately, of course, there will be solutions which are compatible
> > with both, but do you really want to make the investment now?
> >

> I have 12 competitors in the area who are.

So, how exactly are they doing it?

You could always duplicate what they are doing... WIN NT Server, etc.
just measure the cost of keeping them against the lost revenues.

You may loose a few customers to the competition in the short run,
but put some numbers on it.  We all have customers who say they want
XXX,  three days after it is announced, but not enough to justify the
expense involved at this point in time.  It's just like when 28.8 first
came out.   MOST customers did NOT have it.  Sure some wanted it, but
running out and buying anything the customer says they want can make you
broke and give you ulcers every month the PC Magazines announce the
latest technology.

My experiance is that those who have to have the latest and greatest are
also the biggest support nightmares when things do not work according to
the marketing brochures, ( and it's YOUR fault. ) and spend the greatest
amount of time online, etc. Let the competition have some of them.
That way they get the most resource intensive users, and the headaches.

Measure the bottom line of this so called "upgrade"...