Date:      Thu, 7 Nov 2002 16:44:53 -0500
From:      Tim Kellers <timothyk@wallnet.com>
To:        Mike Hogsett <hogsett@csl.sri.com>, Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
Cc:        Tim Kellers <timothyk@serv1.wallnet.com>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NIS gods angry

Thanks for the replies, guys, it's (freakin' finally) working.

When I vipw 'ed on the client machine, I found a space between the last e=
ntry=20
and the +:::::::::  I deleted it, and saved the file.

Before I hupped ypbind (for the millionth time),  I sshed over to the NIS=
=20
Server and had a look in /var/yp/nemesis

The ypservers file contained one line of unreadable characters (lots of=20
@@@@^Z/^A and the like).  I checked my /var/yp/atropos/ypservers file on =
my=20
home network (domainname atropos) and found one line with
 10.0.1.2 10.0.1.2=20
(the private address of my NIS server at home)

I went back onto the server at work and changed the line in ypservers to:

ipaddress ipaddress=20

(using the real numbers, of course)

I rebooted the server, rebooted the client machine and went out and bough=
t a=20
fresh pack of cigarettes.

When I got back, I logged back onto the client and typed:

dhcp198-6# truss su -l zooba

(whole lot of stuff scrolls by...)

zooba@dhcp198-6 ('tty') ~ 1 ->

Bang! it worked!

I don't know if it was the extra blank line before  the  +::::::::: in=20
/etc/master.passwd was the culprit or the weird characters in=20
/var/yp/ypservers.  I did some reading to try and find out if=20
/var/yp/ypservers was supposed to be garbled/encrypted but I could find o=
ut=20
anything useful.  Hopefully, I haven't borked some security by entering p=
lain=20
text into the file.

By the way, the ending string in my /etc/group file is :*::

I haven't changed that (yet)

Thank you all so much, my hair was coming out in fistfulls.

Tim Kellers
CPE/NJIT