Date:      Sun, 25 Jun 2000 09:08:56 -0600
From:      Chris Wasser <cwasser@v-wave.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Strangeness with 4.0-S

I know I've asked about this several times before, but have yet to get any real solid answer (also searched the mailing
list archives) .... I've tried several different brands of network cards under FreeBSD 4.0:

3Com 3c905C-TX 10/100
Linksys LNE100TX
Kingston 21143 Tulip 10/100
Netgear FA310TX 10/100

Whenever I use these cards @ 100base-T full duplex (although it's significantly less pronounced in the tulip) transferring a
7GB tarball (my test file) across a switched full-dupe network, I always end up with:

dc0: TX underrun -- increasing TX threshold
xl0: transmission error: 90

The problem is always the same, TX underrun on all the cards. I've done everything I can to eliminate the possibility of bus
contention (PCI 2.1 enabled, delayed transactions, etc) but I can never seem to eliminate this problem. It only seems to
happen @ 100base-T/FDX however.

Has anyone run into this problem? Or can suggest a possible course of action short of modifying the TX threshold in the
source? I noticed that it started showing up again after I cvsup'd last night from running June 11'th source. When the new
source was installed, TX underruns started happening, before that, June 11'th build, I put almost a terrabyte of data through
the card without a single hiccup or warning of any kind.

I'm pretty much at my wits end here, so if someone has an idea or a suggestion, I'm all ears. Network preformance doesn't
suffer mind you, but I'd rather not see the errors (ie: stop the underrun) if possible.

Thanks,
Chris