Date:      Thu, 27 May 1999 14:36:16 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ken Lui <klui@cup.hp.com>
To:        ambrisko@whistle.com (Doug Ambrisko)
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org, klui@cup44ux.cup.hp.com (Ken Lui)
Subject:   Re: Spontaneous reboot while CPU usage is high

> Ken Lui writes:
> | I have FreeBSD3.2 from ftp7.de.freebsd.org dated May 1999 installed
> | on an AMD K6-2 333MHz with Aladdin V chipset and have experienced
> | spontaneous reboots while CPU usage is very high--compiling or
> | bringing a new web link in another window within Netscape
>
> For kicks try to verify/change your BIOS memory timing to 10ns.  I've seen
> machines die with PC100 memory that couldn't run at 8ns timing.  Under
> stress they failed.
>
> Doug A.

Doug,

Thanks for sending me this suggestion. I went into my Award BIOS and
saw what appeared to be memory timing and changed it from Fast to Normal
so will see if this cures it. I will attempt to set it to Slow if I
get more problems. One stick of SDRAM is PC-100-compliant (which I personally
purchased) at 10ns, but I am not sure of the other stick. For reference,
here is that page of the BIOS.

Chipset Features Setup

Auto Configuration                     Enabled
AT Bus Clock                           CLK2/4     * cannot change *
DRAM Timing                            Fast       * changed to Normal *
SDRAM CAS Latency                      Auto       * 3 and 2 are also valid *
Pipelined Function                     Enabled
Graphics Aperture Size                 64M
DRAM Data Integrity Mode               Disabled
Memory Hole at 15-16M                  Disabled
ISA Line Buffer                        Enabled
Passive Release                        Enabled
Delay Transactions                     Disabled
Primary Frame Buffer                   16M
VGA Frame Buffer                       Enabled
Data Merge                             Disabled

Regards,
Ken
--
Ken Lui                                19111 Pruneridge Avenue
klui@cup.hp.com                        Cupertino, CA  95014-0795      USA