Date:      Thu, 15 Jan 2009 07:32:55 -0800 (PST)
From:      ThinkDifferently <Jeremy@FutureCIS.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Vetting motherboard Gigabyte GA-MA78G-DS3H for FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE

ThinkDifferently wrote:

> I'm currently looking at the Gigabyte GA-MA78G-DS3H.

I'd like to update everyone that the above motherboard does in fact work
with FreeBSD 7.1-RELEASE.  The onboard Ethernet port (chipset 8111C) will
not work with 7.0.  The updated driver is in 7.1.

Everything works great, except this mobo has a software RAID driver, which
FreeBSD does not support.  So, you would have to do standalone disks or some
other kind of volume management, like vinum, I suppose.

All in all, it's very fast and easy to use.  I just regret that it doesn't
natively support hardware RAID.  I splurged and got a RocketRAID 3120 card,
but I'm currently struggling in that regard to get it to boot after the
installation.
See thread...
http://www.nabble.com/How-do-I-use-RocketRAID-3120-with-FreeBSD-7.1-RELEASE-----tt21471603.html
http://www.nabble.com/How-do-I-use-RocketRAID-3120-with-FreeBSD-7.1-RELEASE-----tt21471603.html
I originally posted it in the FreeBSD-Drivers list, because I'm trying to
figure out how to use the hptiop driver, included in FreeBSD 7.1-RELEASE.