Date:      Thu, 08 Mar 2001 15:04:55 -0500
From:      Bob Johnson <bob@eng.ufl.edu>
To:        g.todd@internet.co.nz
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD installation discs

> Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 19:36:46 +1300 (NZDT)
> From: g.todd@internet.co.nz
> Subject: FW: Re: FreeBSD installation discs
>
>  Re installing FreeBSD 4.2, I was intending to buy a computer with a large
> Disc(30GB) and dual boot Windows Me and FreeBSD.  However, after reading
> the documentation on the 1024 cylinder boot limitations I am now wondering
> whether that is a smart approach.

It will work fine if the system BIOS understands large drives.  The
1024 cylinder limitation disappeared some time ago.  If the BIOS doesn't
support it, then create a small partition at the start of the disk
for the FreeBSD root (like 70 MB), then do the Windows partition,
then the rest of FreeBSD.

>Would it be better to go for a twin HD
> disc machine to overcome these problems. e.g. 10Gb for Windows and separate
> 20Gb drive for FreeBSD.  FreeBSD will be my primary operating system,
> Windows for specific non UNIX software.

I dual boot Win 98 and FreeBSD on a 20GB drive.  Windows gets the
first 6 GB, FreeBSD gets the next 6GB, and the rest is shared by
the two as a FAT32 partition, where I keep any files that need to
be available to either system (e.g. most documents that I work on,
MP3 files, etc.).  Technically, I could have just let FreeBSD
access the Windows partition and used it for my shared files, but
this way if I ever have to re-install either operating system my
data files should be safe, and still available to the other OS if
the re-install gets interrupted (well, at least the odds are better).

I find it easiest to install Windows first, then FreeBSD, and let
FreeBSD install its boot manager.  If you were using Windows NT or
2000, I would suggest teaching its boot loader to make FreeBSD one
of your boot choices instead of using the FreeBSD boot manager,
but for Me I assume you should treat it like 95 or 98, i.e. use
the FreeBSD boot manager.

> Glenn Todd
> Wellington
> New Zealand