Date:      Thu, 21 Sep 2000 21:14:59 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        tuinstra@clarkson.edu (Dwight Tuinstra), freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG (freebsd-fs)
Subject:   Re: Journaling Filesystems in bsd? (LFS, anyone?)

>    Have you done any comparisons with FFS+softupdates? The goal of softupdates
> was to be as fast or faster than LFS for everything, not require a cleanerd,
> and along with "snapshots" eliminate requiring fsck before system startup.

Soft updates can not get around the full fsck problem.  See my other
posting under the title "Crash recovery", wherein I compare the crash
recovery mechanisms, with special attention to the soft updates
problem with abbreviated crash recovery.

Soft updates does some good things, but it also does some bad things
(at least relative to an LFS or JFS, and crash recovery).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.