Date:      Fri, 23 Aug 1996 23:26:14 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Stefan Esser <se@zpr.uni-koeln.de>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.tfs.com>
Cc:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>, se@zpr.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser), michaelv@HeadCandy.com, jas@flyingfox.com, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCSI again: Asus SC200 vs. Adaptec 2940

Poul-Henning Kamp writes:
 > >>Stefan:
 > >> This makes me wonder (again), whether I really should spend $1000
 > >> on the necessary hardware, and time worth some $10000 or more (if I
 > >> spent it on paid work) just to allow other people to use the latest
 > >> 53c8xx variants (Ultra-WIDE), who then complain about a NCR driver
 > >> bug, whenever some VM system tuning introduces temporal instability :)
 > >
 > >Rod:
 > >Don't make me laugh... I've probably invested well into the 6 digits
 > >of time and money into FreeBSD in one way or another.  I am sure David,
 > >John, Jordan, Poul, Julian, and a fist full of others are in the same
 > >situation.
 >
 > I'd like to jump in here.

Hi Poul!

 > I know Rod and I know Stefan too.
 >
 > You guys are like made to misunderstand each other!

Well, yes, I also wondered about this some time ago ...

 > We all know that the relationship between the resources a person
 > can muster for FreeBSD in terms of HW and $$$ has nothing to do
 > with the value of that contributor to the project.
 >
 > Several people have proved that point many times over, Stefan is
 > one of them.
 >
 > $1000 may not sound like much to Rod, but to a lot of people that
 > would be all of one years budget for computer-hw, in many cases
 > probably even more than that.

Hmmm, no, that was not my point, actually. I can afford
to spend the money. But I just don't to like to spend it
in a way that only leads lots of effort spent with people
unsatisfied by the results.

I'd rather spend my money and time differently in that case.

 > I really wish we could get some people to donate money, so that
 > we could help productive but HW-challenged people like Stefan.

Ahemm, yes, sure. It really would help to have access to
a large number of devices for error recovery procedure tests
and regression tests. And since older devices often have less
debugged firmware, they are primary candidates for such tests.

I could afford to buy lots of known buggy SCSI drives, but I
don't want to. I prefer to buy quality devices since I want
to entrust them my valuable data ...

Somebody once offered to send me a Chinon CDROM drive, and I
really could have made good use of it, since it shows some
problems with sync. transfer negotiation, which seem to be
unique to this drive.

Many people did help me identify the causes of incompatibilities,
and it was often possible to find an acceptable work around.
(Thanks to all those, BTW. Some had commercial interests, but
some did invest tens of hours booting debug kernels and sending
back the output in order to help understand the causes of a
problem, though they could have returned the device and bought
a better, working one for a few tens of dollars ... )

 > The confusing thing here is the smiley after Stefans complaint.
 > If I read it right, its that feeling of "the world is an unjust
 > place, but heck, it's still better than the alternative".

There IS an alternative ??? :)

Regards, STefan