Date:      Sun, 14 Feb 1999 14:24:42 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: install -C

Dag-Erling Smorgrav writes:
> There's something funny about make installworld.
>
> Specifically, it installs a lot of files with "install -C" regardless
> of whether or not the INSTALL variable in /etc/make.conf actually is
> set to "install -C". This is the case for:
>
>  * header files
>  * C++ template files
> My main argument against always installing certain files with "install
> -C" is that makes it very difficult to clean up after a major upgrade,
> since you can't rely on "live" files to have a recent timestamp.

You shouldn't rely on timestamps for determining if a file is valid or
not.

> I've talked to people on IRC who deleted their Elf interpreter because
> its mtime predated their last make world. Shooting yourself in the
> foot like that is too high a price for the few seconds saved during
> make installworld.

Dr., Dr., it hurts when I do this.

Then *DON'T* do it.

If you don't know what you are doing, then don't do stupid things.  I
think the defaults should stay the way they are, because there are very
valid reasons for using 'install -C' on the special files described.

Nate