Date:      Tue, 2 Jun 2020 11:55:40 -0300
From:      "Dr. Rolf Jansen" <freebsd@cyclaero.com>
To:        Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BeagleBone AI

> Am 02.06.2020 um 10:49 schrieb Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org>:
>=20
> On Sun, 2020-05-31 at 16:56 -0300, Dr. Rolf Jansen wrote:
>>> Am 31.05.2020 um 14:11 schrieb Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org>:
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>> BTW, if you need drivers for any new i2c devices just let me know
>>> and
>>> I'll see what I can do.
>>=20
>> I am pretty comfortable with register level programming, and so far I
>> came away with ioctl() calls for what I needed. So perhaps I won=C2=B4t=

>> need exactly a driver for new I=C2=B2C devices. However, I am far =
away
>> from being a perfect I=C2=B2C expert, specially when it comes to =
timing
>> and the best sequence of addressing different devices on the bus.
>> Perhaps, I may ask some questions when I run into problems.
>>=20
>>> Also, in my experience you can often get away with running an i2c
>>> bus
>>> faster than 400khz if you need more bandwidth.  I've never seen any
>>> modern chip fail to work at 800khz, and most seem to work fine up
>>> about 1mhz; above that they become pretty unreliable.
>>=20
>> Does this =E2=80=9Eover clocking=E2=80=9C work for the ARM boards as =
well? I just set
>> the clock-frequency in the dts-overlay which activates I2C1 of the
>> BBB from 400000 to 800000. The bus seems to work as usual, however, I
>> did not yet come to check its speed. How again would I do that?
>> Probably there are many more questions to come :-)
>>=20
>> Best regards
>>=20
>> Rolf
>=20
> I suspect it works on some boards and maybe won't work on others.  =
Some
> SOCs have very flexible clock settings in their i2c controllers, a few
> just allow choosing between fixed low and high speeds.
>=20
> For experimenting, there is a sysctl dev.iicbus.#.frequency that you
> can change on the fly (it will override any value from the dts).  The
> value is the frequency in hz.
>=20
> -- Ian

Thank you very much for your response. I checked the sysctl setting, and =
the system accepts the values. The bus works at 800000, however, I can =
set it as high as 10000000 (10 MHz) and it is still working. Perhaps, =
there is some sort of internal validation before the frequency value is =
actually applied to the HW. In the moment this is more a matter of =
curiosity than an actual need. Once we equipped the bus with all I=C2=B2C =
devices, we will perhaps run into some timing issues, and then I =
probably want to revisit changing the clock frequency again.

Best reagrds

Rolf=