Date:      Thu, 27 May 1999 15:26:49 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ken Lui <klui@cup.hp.com>
To:        vmori@cronosnet.com (Vittorio Mori)
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: R: Spontaneous reboot while CPU usage is high

> We recently had some _flawed_ batches of K6 II-333. Some would not even
> boot. They also were generating much more heat than the K6 II series we had
> before. So you can check the temperature of the CPU (it sounds overworked as
> an advice, but believe me, those K6 II were really HOT) .... fans & the
> rest. The problem seemed restricted to the K6 II 333 line, the 400Mhz  were
> fine.
>
> The problem we had was similar to yours, the machines rebooted or locked up
> at about 90% of cpu load, even if the peak was for a short time.
>
> Our previus  K6-2 batch stayed well under 45-55 Celsius.
>
> These bad K6 are running 50-70 Celsius (!).

Vittorio,

Thanks for your input. I believe this K6-2 is already overclocked to
333. :) Probably a 266 or 300.

Unfortunately, my motherboard (Biostar M5ALA) has no temperature
probe...

Ken
--
Ken Lui                                19111 Pruneridge Avenue
klui@cup.hp.com                        Cupertino, CA  95014-0795      USA