Date:      Mon, 04 May 1998 21:43:37 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        undisclosed-recipients:;
Subject:   Re: InfoWorld brawl esclates

------- =_aaaaaaaaaa

To: Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
cc: chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Mon, 04 May 1998 21:43:37 -0700
From: "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>

> "Send me information on a conmmercial FreeBSD vendor with a > $1M annual
> runrate and I'll use it."

That'd be Walnut Creek CDROM, for one.  They do easily over $1M in
FreeBSD business a year.

However, there's also the fact that I really could care less just what
Eric Raymond has to say or thinks about free software because his
opinion is no more objective than, say, Bill Gates' on the topic.  I
bear the man no personal animosity, don't get me wrong, but it's also
extremely clear that he's a Man On A Mission where it comes to Linux
and any pretense of impartiality on his part would be laughable.  To
his credit, I don't believe he's ever claimed such impartiality either
and I'd certainly no more attempt to convince Eric Raymond to help
plug FreeBSD or even report on it objectively than I would Linus
Torvalds.  In one very definite sense, he's "the competition" and I'm
no more surprised to see paeans to Linux on www.opensource.org
(however poorly named it might be) than I am to see them at
www.redhat.com.  Sorry, them's just the facts!

- Jordan

------- =_aaaaaaaaaa--