Date:      Mon, 24 Mar 2003 12:53:44 -0600
From:      dglo@ssec.wisc.edu
To:        "Alastair G. Hogge" <agh@tpg.com.au>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
Subject:   Re: Followup to: Trouble building XFree86-4-Clients.

> Well it was Xft.
>
> I feel stupid, sorry for wasting peoples time.
>
> Anyways I think I recall what happened, during the portupgrade I was playing
> around with X and caused a system crash. This may have happened during the
> Xft removal/upgrade stage of portupgrade.

I had the same problem when upgrading my XF86 to 4.3.0 over
the weekend.

XFt is a prerequisite for a bunch of stuff, so it was installed on
my machine along with XFree86-4.2.0.  However, XFree86-4.2.0 had
already installed its own version of libXft and the include files,
so the Xft port installed on top of the XFree86-4.2.0 versions of
those files.

When I tried to upgrade to XFree86-4.3.0, *something* blew away
the Xft files, because 'portversion' thought that the Xft package
was still installed, even though the actual library and include
files were missing.

I'm guessing that when the XFree86-4.2.0 port is removed, it also
removes the new Xft files.