Date:      Fri, 23 Aug 1996 12:34:41 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        jw@ns.calyx.com (John Williams)
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: suid login

> Hi, I'm having annoying problems with users who connect, then run login to
> hide their source host.  My problem isn't so much the (attempted) hiding,
> but the fact that after a lot of this activity my w display gets full of
> broken fixed entries from people long logged off.

Really?  I am a little suprised, I usually don't ever see problems with
this under FreeBSD.

> If I remove the setuid
> bit from login can I expect any ill behavior from it other then the fact
> that users can no longer re-login without reconnecting?  I have noticed
> that setuid screen when called with -ln causes similar problems.  What is
> going on and is there a way I can support those programs without getting
> bogus login entries?

Well you seem to be having an interesting problem of some sort...

A simpler idea for login is simply to chgrp it to the group you use for
your users and then chmod g-x it :-)  Nasty nasty..  but potentially
effective.

More interesting would be to figure out what is causing your problems to
begin with.

... JG