Date:      Sun, 29 Mar 1998 23:24:20 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        Jay Moseley <jay_moseley@ibm.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Install problem: cannot mount root after install

On Sun, 29 Mar 1998, Jay Moseley wrote:

*** major snip ***
> 	changing root device to wd1a
> 	panic: cannot mount root
> and OS/2 installed on the second drive (shared with the FreeBSD
> installation). I am using System Commander to boot the system. I had
> expected some problems with System Commander from discussions in the
>
> Jay Moseley

Given that you are running two OSes on the second drive (wd1) I doubt
that your freebsd kernel will be found on the slice 'wd1a'. The kernel
will be more likely found on 'wd1s2a' or something similar.

Read "The Complete FreeBSD" for the skinny on disc naming conventions.

I cant remember the exact syntax (I would have to reboot to remember :))
for telling the boot strap (correct jargon??) how to find the kernel.

When your system is starting it is apparent that System Commander finds
the boot strap fine or you would not even get the errors that you have
received.

So next time you boot, when you see the prompt 'boot:' it will say
someting like 'kernel (wd,1,a)'.  Type in the real slice that your
kernel is found on.

For example:

boot: (wd,1,s1a)

Please keep in mind that I do not remember the precise syntax. Syntax is
left as an exercise for the reader :). I just hope this gets you going
in the correct direction and helps you get into your system for the
first time.

Good luck. With these vague instructions, you will need it.

Have fun,	 | Stop warning me about the latest virus. Learn more...
Jason Wells	 | http://ciac.llnl.gov/ciac/CIACHoaxes.html