Date:      Tue, 15 Oct 1996 16:59:18 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        "Jeffrey D. Wheelhouse" <jdw@wwwi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IP bugs in FreeBSD 2.1.5

> It's just that when someone says "I have a problem," and the answer is
> "We fixed that in the version you shouldn't use."  That is like saying
> "Have this yummy cupcake," and then putting the cupcake behind 2 inches
> of plexiglass with "WARNING: hard hat area; experts only" painted on it.

This is a valid point, and I'll agree with you that some folks
probably should be a little *less* willing to suggest running 2.2 to
anyone who comes forward with a problem which we know we've fixed in
the -current branch.  I do it myself, and it's damn easy to forget
this when one's perspective of -current is so much different than the
"party line" being expressed on the web pages.

However, this still doesn't quite solve the problems, of course, and
what really need to happen is for 2.2.0-RELEASE to go out so that a
"blessed" version can finally exist for folks to upgrade to.  As you
noted, 2.1-stable is effectively dead and 2.2-current is roped off
with lots of yellow police barrier tape.  Not a comfortable state of
equilibrium by any means, and a matter we've been discussion in core
for a couple of days now.

					Jordan