Date:      Wed, 25 Apr 2001 23:03:11 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Michael Scheidell <me2@privacy.net>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Connection attempts (& active ids)

> On Wed, 25 Apr 2001, David Goddard wrote:
>
> > Simply by being sat there listening to port 111, portsentry blocks
> > several probably compromised systems a day from talking to my servers.
> > Why should I not use it as a part of my security strategy?
>
> Soooooo... if you weren't running portsentry, wouldn't they be talking to
> a closed port, and hence leave you alone as well?

Sooooooo... if I lock all my doors and windows, and they don't get it, I
should be happy, right?

The problem is, if I don't keep an eye on what is going on, I don't know
they are trying.

If I don't know they are trying, they  WILL get in.

read about the $50,000 hacker chalange?  Guess what  With enough
incentive, they will get in.

locked doors and windows are not enough anymore.

We need alarms and armed guards.
I sure wish I could send a 240vt spike down the link on each and every
one.