Date:      Wed, 10 May 1995 00:27:34 -0700
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@estienne.CS.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        "Daniel M. Eischen" <deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org>
Cc:        peppe@unipg.it, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 950412-SNAP on a Plato P90 with Adaptec 2940

>>The problem is not "completely" solved.
>>
>>What I did try at the end is to use all the "new"
>>aic7* files that drive the Adaptec 2940 with the
>>"old" 950412-SNAP kernel. Now the things work,
>>but I discovered, what, probabilly, is the problem
>>with the Intel Plato Board.
>>
>>The new version of the aic7* files in -current
>>showed me that the Intel Plato is using "edge-triggered"
>>interrupts by default on PCI, instead of "level-sensitive".
>>The Plato's BIOS initialize the card that way.
>
>Not correct.  The -current aic7xxx drivers show that message for the benefit
>of the aic7770-based cards (aha274x and aha284x).  For these cards, the interr
>upt
>trigger type is meaningful.  The interrupt trigger type is taken from the
>HCNTRL register which is on the same location for both chips (7770 and 7870),
>but the interrupt trigger type bit in HCNTRL is defined as a spare R/W bit
>with no current hardware assignment for the 7870.  For the 7770 it does have
>meaning.  So the message your seeing regarding the interrupt type is not
>correct.  Well, you could still be using edge triggered interrupts, but I
>doubt anything would work.
>
>I have a 2940W and run both Linux and FreeBSD on it.  The FLinux driver
>always assigns a 1 to this bit which is interpreted as Level-sensitieve
>interrupts.  The FreeBSD driver leaves the bit unchanged (0) and interprets
>it as Edge-triggered.  What both drivers should do is ignore the bit
>for the case of the 7870 (2940 cards) chip and not display any message
>regarding interrupt trigger settings.
>
>This is just a nit and does not affect the performance of the driver in
>any way.
>
>Dan Eischen
>deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org

I mentioned the exact same thing to you about two months ago (that the bit
was undefined for the aic7870).  When I told you, you responded that it
did make a difference because you tried to set it to 0 on your system
and it hung.  If the Data Book is really correct in this regard, I'll
kill the message for the aic7870 (I don't have a card right now to test
it on).

--
Justin T. Gibbs
TCS Instructional Group - Programmer/Analyst 1