Date:      Sun, 5 Aug 2001 09:41:43 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
To:        bfoz@glue.umd.edu, mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Orinoco mini-pci working in Dell C800 (Free beer for Warner)

>Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2001 12:23:36 -0400
>From: Brandon Fosdick <bfoz@glue.umd.edu>

>Using stable from yesterday and Warner's .15 patches works on my
>Lattitude C800. The card is detected from cold boots and on reboots from
>FreeBSD, but not on reboots from win2k. Good enough for me. :)

:-}

>Now I have to figure out how to get the network configured properly.
>Apparently setting defaultrouter in rc.conf doesn't work for this. I
>can't get an IP assigned to the interface at boot either. Works fine
>manually though.

>For setting up the network name and keys, etc... do you guys use
>wicontrol in pccard.conf or do you use the apropriate arguments to
>ifconfig in pccard_ether in rc.conf?

I believe this has been discussed fairly extensively within the last
couple of months here on -mobile.  Unfortunately, it isn't clear to me
that anything approaching consensus is likely to be achieved soon.
(This is more of a problem in advising someone who is just getting
started, rather than a functional issue.  IMO, of course.)

Basically, there are several approaches, and each has imperfections (as
well as the normal engineering-type trade-offs).

I put a description of the approach(es) I've taken up at
http://www.catwhisker.org/~david/FreeBSD.

Cheers,
david
As a computing professional, I believe it would be unethical for me to
advise, recommend, or support the use (save possibly for personal
amusement) of any product that is or depends on any Microsoft product.