Date:      Sun, 23 Mar 2014 12:25:59 -0300
From:      Christopher Forgeron <csforgeron@gmail.com>
To:        Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>
Cc:        FreeBSD Net <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>, Garrett Wollman <wollman@freebsd.org>, Jack Vogel <jfvogel@gmail.com>, Markus Gebert <markus.gebert@hostpoint.ch>
Subject:   Re: 9.2 ixgbe tx queue hang

On Sat, Mar 22, 2014 at 11:58 PM, Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca> wrote:

> Christopher Forgeron wrote:
> >

> > Also should we not also subtract ETHER_VLAN_ENCAP_LEN from tsomax to
> > make sure VLANs fit?
> >
> I took a look and, yes, this does seem to be needed. It will only be
> needed for the case where a vlan is in use and hwtagging is disabled,
> if I read the code correctly.

Yes, or in the rare care where you configure your switch to pass the v_lan
header through to the NIC.

> Do you use vlans?

(Answered in above email)

> I've attached an updated patch.
>
> It might be nice to have the printf() patch in the driver too, so
> we can see how big the ones that are too big are?

Yes, I'm going to leave those in until I know we have this fixed..  will
probably leave it in a while longer as it should only have a minor
performance impact to iter-loop like that, and I'd like to see what the
story is a few months down the road.

Thanks for the patches, will have to start giving them code-names so we can
keep them straight.  :-) I guess we have printf, tsomax, and this one.