Date:      Tue, 3 Nov 1998 13:48:30 +1300
From:      Joe Abley <jabley@clear.co.nz>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        jabley@clear.co.nz
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD for Strongarm?

This is almost entirely off-topic... but not quite :)

Re: announcement copied below - a StrongARM RedHat distribution would give
some more background reading for FreeBSD porting, with the usual BSD/GPL
caveats.

There is also a cool idea brewing in the UK to mount 6 or 8 233MHz StrongARM
CPUs on a single dual-bus PCI card, each processor with its own RAM and flash
for booting:

  http://www.chaltech.com/
  http://www.pobox.com/~kragen/sa-beowulf

Now _that_ would be a compact platform for clustering - a nasty old P90
motherboard to act as an NFS server and router, and 32 x 233MHz StrongARM
processors running IP over the PCI bus. All in a single mini-tower chassis.
Mmmmmm. That does smell good :)

---

October 27, 1998--Corel Computer and Red Hat Software, Inc. today announced
an agreement to bring the Red Hat(r) distribution of Linux to the Corel
Computer NetWinder(tm)family of thin-clients and thin-servers. Under the
three-year agreement, Red Hat will port Red Hat Linux 5.1 and future
releases of the software to the StrongARM(r) processor, the underlying
architecture of the NetWinder.

``We are pleased to be able to offer our NetWinder customers the benefits
of the award-winning Linux distribution from Red Hat,'' said Ron McNab,
vice president and general manager of Corel Computer. ``The partnership
will allow us to concentrate on our core business>building one of the most
powerful and easy-to-use thin-clients and thin-servers on the market.''

The agreement provides Corel Computer with the right to use the Red Hat
distribution of Linux including the Red Hat name and logo on the NetWinder
products. Additionally, Corel Computer has the rights to distribute Red Hat
CD ROMs and printed documentation manuals to customers.

``I am pleased to announce that Red Hat Linux will soon be available on the
exciting new NetWinder platform,'' said Robert Young, president of Red Hat
Software. ``The partnership between Corel Computer and Red Hat adds to the
growing momentum of Linux.''

Currently the NetWinder family is running a custom Linux distribution based
on Red Hat 4.2. When available, NetWinder customers will be able to upgrade
their systems by either downloading the operating system from Corel
Computer or Red Hat, or by purchasing a CD ROM and manual from either
vendor.

--
Joe Abley <jabley@clear.co.nz>      Tel +64 9 912-4065, Fax +64 9 912-5008
Network Architect, CLEAR Net                      http://www.clear.net.nz/