Date:      Thu, 7 Nov 2002 16:01:00 -0600
From:      "DaleCo Help Desk" <daleco@daleco.biz>
To:        "Natalie Behm" <natalie_behm@yahoo.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Removing and Replacing FreeBSD

From: "Natalie Behm" <natalie_behm@yahoo.com>
To: <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Thursday, November 07, 2002 3:33 PM
Subject: Removing and Replacing FreeBSD

> Having gone over and over and over and over the
> handbook and installation guides, I have determined
> that the installation of FreeBSD just does NOT work
> for me.  Perhaps it is because I'm not a programmer,
> perhaps it's because I'm a complete moron (as I'm sure
> anyone reading this will make a comment on), but it
> simply does not work for me, does not match my needs,
> etc.
>
> What I'm needing to know, though, is whether I can
> simply stick my Windows 98 disk in and it will
> complete remove and replace FreeBSD, or is there
> something else needed to complete the task of removing
> this completely user-UNfriendly operating system and
> replacing it with something that we commonplace morons
> can use?

Well, you could always get an ax and a blowtorch :-)

Ms. Behm, I'm very sorry that you've had difficulty
with FBSD.  I will not call you a moron, but you do
not have to be a "programmer" to operate FreeBSD.
It is however pretty clear, when one reads the
documentation, that FreeBSD works best for people
who understand what a computer is and does, and
a bit about how it does it.  I believe that the choice of an
operating system, for most people, should be an
issue on which knowledgeable individuals should be
consulted.

You might wish to consider doing everyone a
favor and hiring a consultant.  Most professionals
would be glad to use your "Windoze 98 disk"
(whatever that may be) to make you happier
than you are now.

Cordially,

Kevin Kinsey
DaleCo, S.P.

P.S.  If that's a "Windows 98 CD" from
Micro$oft, you'll need it, a working system
(hardware) and about a 25-digit "registration"
key in order to get Windoze on your computer
again, assuming that your BIOS will support
booting from the CDROM drive. You might
also need a "Windows 98 boot disk," in
order to repartition and format the hard drive,
because, although FreeBSD read DOS easily
enough, Micro$oft did not use enough foresight
to allow Windows to read UFS.

P.P.S.  You might hire a consultant....

P.P.P.S.  Or even go to a reputable
    computer tech center......