Date:      Fri, 3 Mar 2000 14:57:09 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Mark Ovens <mark@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        Joseph Scott <joseph.scott@owp.csus.edu>, Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>, Kris Kennaway <kris@hub.freebsd.org>, freebsd-chat <chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: any news on w2k in the world?

On Fri, Mar 03, 2000 at 12:33:36AM +0000, Mark Ovens wrote:

> Well, we just installed it on what M$ state as minimum spec hardware
> (P133, 64MB - although it will install with 32MB according to the
> box) mainly so we would have an idea what to recommend to customers
> when they ask if they can/should upgrade(?). It runs like a dog and,
> immediately after booting, has already swapped out 15MB.

Seems that 64 Mb is not enough for the system to boot, doesn't it.

I've heard of people who installed it on 128 Mb systems and only by
disabling things like "simple internet services" (this is the MS-speak
for inetd's echo/discard/chargen/etc.) managed to get the memory usage
right after boot to be under 50 Mb.

This means that memory consumption of that beast actually *can* be
reduced, but then new questions are brought forth.  Such as, how come
echo+discard+chargen take that 10 Mb of memory.  The programmers of
inetd must have been real geniouses making the whole thing fit in a
VSIZE of approximately 1.2 Mb.

Ah, well.  I'l stick to my FreeBSD for the 32 Mb of ram I got, and a
few other things that make me happy on a Unix box.

--
Giorgos Keramidas, < keramida @ ceid . upatras . gr >
For my public PGP key: finger keramida@diogenis.ceid.upatras.gr