Date:      Thu, 4 Oct 2001 03:28:03 -0800
From:      "" <kmcd@apexmail.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG

Hi all ,

I am trying to install freebsd 4.2 release on an IBM thinkpad 560 ( the =
one with no internal cdrom / floppy , 133mhz / 40mb ram ) without much s=
uccess .

The machine came with win95 . I intended to install from an msdos partit=
ion but  was unable to resize the harddisc partition with various utils =

I created kern.flp & mfsroot.flp and decided to install over ftp . Howev=
er sysinstall could
not dial out . No flashing lights and the phase-> deflink error msgs . B=
TW , the modem works fine as a standard serial modem on my desktop box r=
unning fbsd4.2release .

OK , lets try the pccard cdrom ( a long shot as its as old as the hills =
) .The BIOS could not boot from the cdrom and sysinstall could not detec=
t it either ( although I only tried the
fault IRQ as Ive no such info ) .

At this stage a hasty commit reformatted the hard drive .

Not to worry , we can always install / & /bin from floppy . However , th=
e floppy drive cannot read discs formatted / written by my desktop flopp=
y drive ( or any other machine
FTM ) . This leads me to believe that the IBM external drive uses a non =
standard format .

So at the moment I have a non booting black box sitting on my desk . I a=
lso have a
laplink cable & zircom realport 10/100 56k pccard but as Ive yet to inst=
all a NIC on my other box a green newbie  Ive shunned the NFS install .

As a reference I used the complete freebsd , handbook & various web site=
s .

Any ideas / *pointers / good install websites most welcome .

Regards ,

kmcd

ApexMail now registers domains! www.apexmail.com