Date:      Sun, 28 Jun 1998 02:47:56 -0700
From:      Andy Sparrow <spadger@best.com>
To:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Yamaha CD-R ...

The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> Morning...
>
>         I went splits with a friend on a CD-R awhile back, and because
> FreeBSD, at that time, had no writing capabilities, we installed it on his
> Win95 machine...
>
>         Now, I'm seeing that we have stuff like cd-write and cdrecord
> available, but fear our CD-R is supported...but I figured I'd just check
> before I returned it, just in case its something that I haven't done.
>
>         Basically, dmesg comes up as:
>
> cd0 at scbus0 target 6 lun 0
> cd0: <YAMAHA CRW2260 1.0f> type 5 removable SCSI 2
>
>         Has anyone succeeded in getting that model working?  Is there
> something that I have to do (enable in the kernel?) to get this to work?

Not for cdrecord, as it uses a link to the .ctl device node of either the worm
or cd device.

The worm driver won't recognise anything that doesn't identify itself as a
WORM device or appear in it's internal list of known devices...

I could never get cd-write to work anyway, it always errored during fixating
with a CDD2000. However, I've burnt 100's of CDs with cdrecord on various
drives, so my particular bias should be obvious. Works For Me (tm) on 2.2.5,
2.2.6 and -stable. Haven't tried it with-current yet, although I've been meaning
to for a while. There were some problem reports with that combination a
while back.

You may find my web page (wittily entitled "So, you want to burn your own CDs
under FreeBSD?") useful, as it details various things that don't seem to be
addressed in the port and are misleading (outdated) in the README.xxxBSD file,
as well as some info about the worm driver.

Here's the URL:

    http://www.best.com/~spadger/CDR-main.html

The CDR drive compatibility list at the cdrecord home page
(http://www.fokus.gmd.de/nthp/employees/schilling/index.html#cdrecord) shows
that the Yamaha CRW-2260 is a supported device. It should Just Work once you've
set up the links to the devices...

Cheers,

AS