Date:      Mon, 11 Jun 2012 03:18:29 +0700
From:      Adam Strohl <adams-freebsd@ateamsystems.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Retro-actively adjust port's deinstall operations?

Hello,

I've just submitted a PR to update the CouchDB port from 1.1.0 to 1.2.0:

Background: CouchDB's local.ini file stores all overridden options and
default.ini the defaults, similar to /etc/rc.conf & /etc/defaults/rc.conf.

While updating the port I discovered that the existing port lists
local.ini directly in pkg-plist instead of installing a local.ini.sample
file and doing proper comparisons/tests for changes.  So it blindly
removes this file on deinstall.

If my diff in the above PR is accepted when people uninstall the
existing 1.1.0 port it will remove their config file.  The new port will
see that there is no local.ini and copy in the sample for them but this
is really awful for obvious reasons.

Is there a way to reach people with a warning about this _before_ they
uninstall/reinstall so they can back up the file before upgrading?

Or is /usr/ports/UPDATING it? (and do I need to do anything special to
have this listed there?)

P.S.
Any other feedback on the PR/diff is welcome.

--
Adam Strohl
http://www.ateamsystems.com/