Date:      Mon, 06 Aug 2001 09:27:27 +0800
From:      Christopher Hall <hsw@acm.org>
To:        Robert Kieffer <theapodan@softhome.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Will the SiS 730s chipset and all of its perks run FreeBSD?

In message <20010804041521.F39BD37B401@hub.freebsd.org>,
  Robert Kieffer writes:
>I have been thinking about putting another OS on my
>computer besides Windows 2000, and FreeBSD seems to be
>the best of the free *nix community.  However, BeOS does
>not run on my hardware, particularly my video, and I am
>wondering about FreeBSD.    The computer itself is a Sony
>RX450.  Here are a bunch of specs.
>
>Mboard: Asus A7S
>DVD drive: PIONEER DVD-ROM DVD-116R
>CD burner: SONY CD-RW CRX160E
>IDE controller: SiS 5513 Dual PCI IDE Controller
>Sound: SiS 7018 Audio Driver (SB16 compat.)
>Network junk:
>Lucent winmodem, Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC

I have been testing an ASUS A7S-VM, SocketA/SiS 730/realtek 8139
with:
  800MHz Duron
  256M RAM
  Acer CD RW
  external GVC modem.
  HD 20G and 30G

What works:
  100Mbps Ethernet
  XFree86 3.3.6
  cdburn to CD/RW and CDR media
  make buildworld
  memtest86

What does NOT:
  XFree86 4.1.0 (delay + spontaneous reboot if XFree86 -configure)
  AC97 sound port (no FreeBSD driver yet)

Have never tried a "winmodem" as these are usually only supplied with
software drivers that run only on MS OS.

---
Christopher Hall <hsw@generalresources.com>         Fax: +886-2-2795-3030
Christopher Hall <hsw@acm.org>                    Phone: +886-2-2795-5799