Date:      Wed, 12 Dec 2001 19:15:08 +1100
From:      Kal Torak <kaltorak@quake.com.au>
To:        Diana Eichert <deichert@wrench.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Router based on FreeBSD.

Diana Eichert wrote:

>>>Hes using a 3com 3300 XM switch, so its probably best to stick
>>>withe the 3com cards as well... Things made by the same company
>>>usualy work best together :)
>>>

> Whoa, now that's a leap of faith, many times a vendor has purchased entire
> companies and re-badged those products as their own.  Also, there can and
> most likely will be totally unrelated design teams supporting NIC's and
> routers/switches.  So there are no guarantee's by staying vendor specific.

True enough...

I just recall a few years ago a certain set of SMC cards that refused to
work with just about anything else... Personaly Iv had some bad experiances
with 3com cards as well, like them dissapearing from the system after a
reboot and other things...

What I really meant was it seems they have all 3com gear, so it was probably
all got at the same time so it "should" work ok together.. I dont think that
replacing them with Intel cards will solve the problem, but hey it might :)