Date:      Wed, 8 Sep 1999 03:35:50 -0700
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        "Vladimir Mencl, MK, susSED" <mencl@nenya.ms.mff.cuni.cz>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Q: Why is idprio only for root

Vladimir Mencl, MK, susSED scribbled this message on Sep 8:
> Why is the idprio(1) command available only to the superuser?
>
> What where the reasons?
>
> It just seems to me that it's no evil to let users run some computations
> on the idle priority.... when they want to load the system less then
> with a nice(1).

because there is a situation where a idle prio process can obtain a
lock on a vnode or other kernel resource, but never get the chance to
run again while a higher level process continues working...

do a search of the mailing lists on this topic...  it shouldn't be hard
to turn up...  it would most likely be on -hackers

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 541 684 8449
  Cu Networking					  P.O. Box 5693, 97405

  "The soul contains in itself the event that shall presently befall it.
  The event is only the actualizing of its thought." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson