Date:      Tue, 09 Jul 2002 16:16:10 -0600
From:      Don Wilde <Don@Silver-Lynx.com>
To:        Chris Coleman <chrisc@vmunix.com>
Cc:        Lewis Kapell <lkapell@ncia.net>, freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: buying FreeBSD

Chris Coleman wrote:

> I'll pitch my $.02 in here, but I am biased because I am one of the
> mentioned manufacturers.

I want to acknowledge you, Chris, for your unbiased assessment. Your new
disk set in its easy-open box is exceptional, and I really like the
usr-friendly install leaflet.

I had cancelled my old subscription when WRS made such a nightmare of
FreeBSD fulfilment, and switched to Chris' organization. When Bob
Bruce's FreeBSDMall took over, they re-activated not one but two old
subscription accounts. I therefore now have three copies of 4.6 and all
are high-quality CDs. When I complained in my usual subtle and gentle
way (yeah, right!), LeLaine in FreeBSDMall's CS group insisted on
refunding both charges and requested that I donate the CD's to schools
even after I requested that she only refund one and stop the extra
subscriptions.

I give exceptionally high marks to both organizations for quality,
service and support of our Cause. Bob Bruce is the original commercial
sparkplug who paid core members like Jordan Hubbard to take FreeBSD from
curiosity to the rock-solid commercial platform it is today, and Chris
and Susannah Coleman have lived and breathed Daemon News from its
inception. [Have your baby's horns started sprouting yet, Chris? ;-)]

We are blessed to have these fine companies to deal with. I haven't
dealt with FreeBSD Services, but I do recognize its founder as a
contributor as well, and I'm sure they are likewise a valuable
supporter. Some people may see the recent shakeout/up/exodus as a
troubling sign for FreeBSD, but I am confident that these commercial
vendors (and the 501c3 FreeBSD Foundation!) will all continue the
tradition of providing high-quality products and support for our
favorite computer productivity tool. Buy from any and you're doing us
all a favor. :D
--
Don Wilde           http://www.Silver-Lynx.com
Silver Lynx     Creativity Learning Experience