Date:      Tue, 3 Sep 1996 17:01:30 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Zeus Web server

I apologize if this has been mentioned before, but there is a new
commercial Web server for FreeBSD called Zeus, whose claim to fame is high
performance.  They use a single-process, multi-threaded design, including
support for Keep-Alive, which gives them higher performance than any other
Web server for UNIX.

I only discovered them by accident, when I noticed that both DEC and HP
used Zeus as the Web server in their SPECWeb96 results:
	http://www.specbench.org/osg/web96/results/

Except for the lowest end Alpha (which used Netscape Server), all the
results are using Zeus.  Also Sun's Web page has some Webstone results,
again using Zeus as the Web server.

The best part is that they support FreeBSD, as well as NetBSD, BSDI,
Linux, and Solaris/x86, as well as the usual workstation UNIX versions.
In fact they specifically mention you can achieve high performance results
on a $1000 PC (even going so far as to say it's usable on a 386sx w/ 2MB
RAM :-).

It supports all the usual features:  CGI's, SSL, and so forth.  If
performance is a concern, it may be worth the $900 purchase price.  And
because it is free to not-for-profit organizations, FreeBSD Inc. may want
to try it out?

Anyway, the URL is:  http://www.zeus.co.uk/
If there are no complaints I will add it to our Commercial
Vendors list on www.freebsd.org (just discovering I still have write
permissions after my brief stint as FreeBSD webmaster :-).

-- Jake