Date:      Sun, 9 Dec 2001 19:24:25 +0100
From:      Gabriel Ambuehl <gabriel_ambuehl@buz.ch>
To:        "Dustin Puryear" <dpuryear@usa.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re[4]: Using DNAT and DNS round-robin

Hello Dustin,

Sunday, December 09, 2001, 7:28:41 PM, you wrote:

> Gabriel, let me try to explain this better.

> We want to setup n web servers behind a firewall, all of which will
> be running FreeBSD 4.4-RELEASE. The web servers will be setup for
> IP-based virtual hosting. In order to support virtual hosting we
> need to do one of

So you actually got one IP for each user. Lucky admin, you are.

> the following: setup the firewall to just route all incoming
> packets for our assigned network internally and have each web
> server setup an interface aliase for each IP address used by a
> virtual host (I'm not even sure how this would be done to be honest
> since we can't have multiple servers using the same IP),

Why would you need too? You actually need the reverse, multiple IPs
for one
server...

> setup our firewall with an interface alias for each IP address
> used by a virtual host and then use DNAT to just route each
> incoming packet to one of the n web servers to be serviced, or use
> Squid as a reverse proxy and forgo DNAT or using the public IP
> addresses internally. The Squid solution seems the best, but I
> could be wrong.

Why not just have the firewall act as classic router like all other
people out there do it?

> My question was what method is being used by others, and if we
> choose the second method, if we can still use DNS round robin. (The
> latter question you have answered.)

You can always use round robin if you have more than one IP hosting
the same data. Whether you want to use it is a wholly different
topic...

Best regards,
 Gabriel