Date:      Tue, 24 Sep 1996 15:54:00 -0500
From:      rkw@dataplex.net (Richard Wackerbarth)
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: install on {Net,Open}BSD vs install on FreeBSD

>While it does encourage a mildly bad programming habit, NetBSD does
>include it.  It is a needless difference between the two systems and
>should be corrected, imho.  It accomplishes the greater goal of
>converging the divergent BSD branches a tiny bit, which is also a
>generally good thing, imho.

Here I have to agree with Warner.

It is better to support the option and maintain consistancy across
implementations. Otherwise, I would argue that we should delete our version
in its entirety and use one of the other versions.

Besides, there is a very good reason to have the option.
When you are bootstrapping, you don't care about "doing it right", but
simply "getting it done". The fewer tools required, the better.

But then what should we expect from the "there is only one OS, which runs
on only one CPU, and is used by only one user" crowd?