Date:      Wed, 4 Jan 95 10:23:43 +0100
From:      rsilfhou@mmra1.ms.philips.nl (Ruud van Silfhout)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Failed installation on big IDE-drive

Hi,

I am having problems installing 2.0R on a fixed IDE disk. Here's what
happens:

The CMOS can be set to autodetect the hard disk. It then reports
1048 cylinders, 16 heads and 63 sectors/track.
(When I use the FreeBSD boot floppies at this stage, they report the
disk to have the same geometry during the boot proces.)  So far so good.
Then I 'sliced' the disk using MSDOS-FDISK.EXE. After that, FreeBSD seems
to think (not during boot, then the geometry is still 1048C/16H/63S) when
in the Fdisk section of the install that the geometry is 524C/32H/63S.
So clearly the DOS FDISK.EXE has done something strange. I then changed
this geometry info back to 1048C/16H and then the installation fails after
the reboot with "No Operating Syetem Found".

I also tried to put 524/32 in the CMOS and use these values instead but then
the FreeBSD instalation process tells me that 32 Heads are not allowed.

My conclusion: I should be using the 1048C/16H setup because FreeBSD
won't eat the 32Heads solution, but because of the DOS Fdisk I should
be using the 524/32 solution. Clearly this bites :-(

I read the TROUBLESHOOTING document but as far as I know I did everything
mentioned inside. I have one question though: it tells to keep the
root partition below cylinder 1024. If this is indeed the root partition
in the FreeBSD slice, then I did this. But if the complete FreeBSD slice
should fit below the 1024th cylinder, then that might be the problem.

Can someone please tell me which values I have to use where???

(Btw: this was the MSDOS 5.0 FDISK)

Thanks in advance,
Ruud van Silfhout (rsilfhou@mmra1.ms.philips.nl)