Date:      Wed, 2 May 2001 19:58:39 -0500
From:      Derek Moeller <moeller@dophnic.yi.org>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Tweaking a laptop installation

On Wed, May 02, 2001 at 10:52:15PM +0100, Wayne Pascoe wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> My Sony Vaio Z600-HEK has arrived. Windows 2000 that was installed
> seemed to be faulty. A quick shake, and it fell right off :)

Windows installations seem to be similarly unstable in my house. Must be the
air.

> Anyways, FreeBSD installed quite smoothly, and I have the box at the
> point where I can do work with it. I now want to tweak it so that I
> can have fun with it. To this end, I need to ask a couple of
> questions (in no particular order of importance :))
>
> 1. The card installed according to Windows was an ATI rage
> mobility. I chose the ATI Mach 3D RAGE II in xf86cfg because that was
> the closest thing that I could find. XFree86 4.0.3 works but I was
> wondering if there was a better choice ?

That choice instructs XF86 to use the Mach64 set of support, and from there
it will actually discover that it is a Rage Mobility. XF86 doesn't actually
get instructed as to the exact chipset in your system, only the general
kind, such as Mach64 or Mach32.

So you're probably using it to full potential. You may want to turn DPMS on,
if screen blanking just makes your day.

--
Derek Moeller

47 6f 64 20 69 73 20 64 65 61 64 21