Date:      Tue, 28 Nov 2006 21:40:41 GMT
From:      puc-uart@oldach.net (Helge Oldach)
To:        freebsd-i386@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: i386/105616: UART PCI device just silent...

The following reply was made to PR i386/105616; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: puc-uart@oldach.net (Helge Oldach)
To: xcllnt@mac.com (Marcel Moolenaar)
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 22:38:44 +0100 (CET)

 Hi Marcel,

 >> It seems that setting clock rate on this board does not work
 >> properly, but instead some default non-standard value remains set
 >> forever...
 >Interesting. The uart(4) driver in -STABLE writes the baudrate in a
 >single 16-bit wide operation. The uart(4) driver in -CURRENT doesn't do
 >that. Could you try the attached patch?

 Works, problem fixed. I now can talk uart(4) just identical to sio(4).
 Ah, finally no silo overflows any more!

 Many thanks for this truely outstanding support!!!

 BTW, I applies to most 8250/16550 based PCI board, so it should probably
 be fixed before 6.2-STABLE, IMHO.

 BTW2, still the SUN1889 is recognized as 16550, not 16650. This has
 probably no impact since it only means we do not utilize the full FIFO
 depth of the 16650, but still...

 Many thanks again, your work deserves it!

 Regards,
 Helge