Date:      Fri, 12 May 2000 14:18:24 -0700
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
Cc:        Patrick Bihan-Faou <patrick@mindstep.com>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: envy.vuurwerk.nl daily run output

On Fri, May 12, 2000 at 01:49:04PM -0700, Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group wrote:
> I've been, as root, able to break out of jail with the posted code on
> FreeBSD-3.3, RH 5.2 & 6.0, Solaris 2.6, and Tru64-UNIX 4.0D.  I've, as
> root, not been able to break out of jail on 4.0-STABLE as of April 22,
> hence suspected that FreeBSD plugged this hole.

chroot != jail.  chroot'ed programs are often described as running in
jails, but they are certaintly in minimum security prisons at best.  The
new jail(8) feature in FreeBSD 4.0 write by PHK and documented by Robert
Watson is an entierly different beast and it's certaintly what was
suggested in the post that prompted this conversation.  The very short
introduction to jail is that it's a maximum secuirty version of chroot.
It's almost as good as a whole seperate machine.

-- Brooks