Date:      Fri, 12 Jun 1998 22:32:44 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
Cc:        Stuart Krivis <stuart@apk.net>, "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>, phil grainger <freebsd@pronet.net.au>, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: copyright

Garance A Drosihn wrote:

> I still think this mailing list suffers from the name that was
> given to it.  In usenet heirarchies, the "advocacy" newsgroup
> is where to send all the endless philosophical discussions, or
> name-calling, or platform-religion topics that no sane person
> wants in the "real" usenet discussions.  It is, by definition,
> a garbage-collection of topics.
>
> Here, the advocacy mailing list is meant to be a serious list
> with a real purpose:  figuring out how to make FreeBSD more
> acceptable to more people, and how to connect with people who
> would be well-served by running FreeBSD (if they only knew
> more about it to try it out).
>
> So, I think this is a bad name for a serious mailing list, but
> even after a few weeks of thinking about an alternate name I
> haven't thought of anything which would be notably better...

You're exactly right, the charter of this mailing lists is more in
line with the "technical evangelists" at Apple in the past.  I
hope we're somewhat less rabid (and more reasoned) than the Kawasaki
Corps, though.

I hesitate to call this an "evangelism" project, because it tends
to offend "churchy" people, and those offended by churchs.  Silly,
but true.

A quick trip through an on-line thesarus turned up nothing of real help.
"FreeBSD Missionaries" conjures up visions of a large stew pot with Jack
Velte hot-tubbing his way to millions; not exactly the light *I* want
to protray us in.  ;^)  "FreeBSD Advocates" sounds a little too much
like a software licensing law firm.  Sigh.  Perhaps we should adopt
a Klingon word or something?  An obscure latin phrase?