Date:      Sun, 10 Nov 1996 23:50:13 -0800
From:      "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
To:        Michael Slater <slaterm@tnet.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Converting linux shadow passwords

>      I am in the process of switching from Linux to FreeBSD, and am
>wondering if their is a method of Converting the Linux password/shadow
>file into a FreeBSD password file, other than manually re-entering every
>user ?

If all you want to do is move the "data", you should be able to write
a awk or perl script in a few minutes that would suck in the old info,
and rewrite it in the new format.

Of course, your passwords probably won't work in the new system, so
those will probably all have to be reset, manually, once you've
successfully moved all the rest of the data to a new passwd file.

  Michael L. VanLoon                           michaelv@MindBender.serv.net