Date:      Wed, 28 Jan 1998 19:54:10 -0600
From:      "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <mountin.man@mixcom.com>
To:        Scot Elliott <scot@poptart.org>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sendmail - low on space

At 06:58 PM 1/28/98 +0000, Scot Elliott wrote:
>On Wed, 28 Jan 1998, Jeff Lynch wrote:
>
>> Yikes. I would set it at 20MB or 30MB and explain why it is necessary. If
>> they have an occaisonal need you can always jack it up temporarily.
>> It you leave it unlimited, you'll probably be sorry.
>>
>> You might even talk them into using ftp.
>
>I totally agree with this.  EMail was just not designed for rediculously
>large transfers like this.  It's inefficient because there's no restart
>facility (I dont think...) in case a connection gets broken, like there is
>with FTP and HTTP.

What burns me is that they don't compress large files.  Don't want to teach them how to use WinZip, make it self-extracting.

Nothing like having almost 300 mailboxes for one company and a dozen or more being sent a 12 MB PowerPoint attachment, when most could not download it.  Then it had to be purged without killing other messages.  Especially since most of the recipients were on their LAN/WAN in the above case.

Still it wasn't as bad as the idiot that sent a 42 MB file to a fellow worker, who-was-in-the-same-office!!!  Hello?!  Did you local network crash?

Need I mention the time when someone sent a large attachment, the message bounce, and the person's mail client chokes?

Better to educate them.  Some mailers choke at 1 MB attachments, but limits were set at 5 MB.  Bigger, too bad, use ftp.

>Definately talk your users into using FTP or something similar. Maybe get
>them to embed a URL in their document so that the likes of Netscape mail
>users can just click to open an attachment.

Simple enough to setup a virtual web/ftp to handle this.  In fact this could be a valuable service addition for business customers.

(Must say that this thead has really taken off.)

Jeff Mountin - Unix Systems TCP/IP networking
mountin.man@mixcom.com