Date:      Thu, 11 Mar 2004 16:48:23 +0000
From:      lu.schreier@t-online.de (Ludwig Schreier)
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   About the IBM R40e notebook and its harddrive, making strange sounds.

Hi community,

it isn't easy to describe and actually it is not a serious problem, but what
is the UFS (Unix File System, FFS even?) doing every few minutes?

My harddrive (I believe its a IBM harddrive, since the whole notebook is IBM)
makes strange sounds every 1-2 minutes if there is _no_ great load or system
activity.

Don't laugh, but something like:

"dack, dack."

A frequent routine check  ... ?

I have read a bit about how harddrives work and what's in them, because I am
interessted in such things and what exactly is the reading header doing ?

If the harddrive is driven by NTFS i.e., no sounds will occure.

So the question is - because no major errors of hardware occured yet - does
this mean something to my harddrive or is it just how UFS is working with it?

Thanks for help on this! :)

--

Ludwig Schreier
lu.schreier@t-online.de