Date:      Sat, 6 Feb 1999 16:29:13 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        "Ilya V. Komarov" <mur@lynx.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Using -CURRENT without subscribing to -CURRENT (was: kernel elf format : some troubles)

On Saturday,  6 February 1999 at  8:53:04 +0300, Ilya V. Komarov wrote:
> Hi,
> Today I install FreeBSD 3.0-RELEASE and upgrade source to current (by mean of cvsup).
> Then - standart procedure:
> cd /usr/src
> make buildworld && make installworld
> cd /sys/i386/conf
> config <MY_KERNEL>
> cd ../../compile/<MY_KERNEL>
> make depend && make && make install
>
> But:
> kernel.old (kernel.GENERIC of 3.0-RELEASE) has a.out format and
> kernel (FreeBSD-current) has elf format and when I boot kernel,
> loader say: Invalid file format!;
>
> What's wrong?
> Or current doesn't support elf-kernel?

Repeat after me:

  IF YOU USE CURRENT, SUBSCRIBE TO THE FreeBSD-CURRENT MAILING LIST,
  AND READ THE MESSAGES.

You should not use the standard procedure for upgrading to -CURRENT at
the moment.  Lots of messages have gone around on -CURRENT warning
people of different ways of shooting themselves in the foot.  You have
found one.

Reboot your old kernel, get the instructions from the -CURRENT
archive, and try again.  Hopefully you'll be able to continue: it's
possible that the old kernel won't work too well with the new
userland.

Greg