Date:      Thu, 20 Sep 2001 13:15:56 +1200
From:      rshea@opendoor.co.nz
To:        Stanley Hopcroft <Stanley.Hopcroft@IPAustralia.gov.au>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How does FreeBSD make a difference in a government context ?

> I am writing to ask your advice about demonstrating the value of FreeBSD
> servers (DDNS, DHCP, routers, Samba) in a 'public service'/'Government
> context'.

You may be interested in a thread which appeared here, eerrh, during August or
maybe early this month. Someone asked a very similar question regarding the US
Federal Govt - there were some interesting responses (sorry I can't get onto
freebsd.org to look at the archives to give you a better steer - maybe later).

I can identify with, what sounds like, your anger. I do think as technicians we
tend to think that users _should_ use what we know to be superior solutions -
even if for various reasons they don't want to. I suspect we feel much as
cardiologists do when they look in the window of fast food shop - they've told
their patients it's wrong but _still_ they do it ! What's worse is that the
patients then turn up and winge about the problems they've got ;-)

regards

richard shea.

Open Door Ltd
PO Box 119-46