Date:      Wed, 14 Jun 2000 01:40:38 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mike Nowlin <mike@argos.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   RocketPort & termios VTIME

I've come across the mildly annoying problem that in order to get the
mgetty+sendfax port to work correctly with my RocketPort (ISA, 8 and
16 port) boards under 3.2 & 3.4, I have to tweak the Makefile to define
-DBROKEN_VTIME...  Blurb from makefile:

# For Systems with broken termios / VMIN/VTIME mechanism (symptom: mgetty
# hangs in "waiting for line to clear"), define -DBROKEN_VTIME. Notably
# this hits FreeBSD 0.9 and some SVR4.2 users...

(it does the "waiting for line to clear" bit.)

The port works fine without any mods on my Cyclades boards and standard
serial ports.

Is this a known problem with the rp driver or hardware, a newly-discovered
problem, or a "feature"?  I don't see how it could be a port issue, since
I'd expect the user interface to the hardware to be the same...  Then
again, the ioctl() on Linux to check if the TX buffer is empty doesn't
work on Cyclades boards (the last time I checked)... :)

--mike

Understated/funny man-page sentence of the current time period:

From route(4) on FreeBSD-3.4, DESCRIPTION section:
    "FreeBSD provides some packet routing facilities."

Mike Nowlin, N8NVW         mike@argos.org         http://www.viewsnet.com