Date:      Thu, 1 Oct 1998 21:34:53 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Java

[ moved to freebsd-java, there's a mailing list for everything ]

> I suddenly need java for a school project (I need jdbc).  I see the port
> of 1.1.6, and I'm currently installing it, but the 3 other members of my
> project are all going to be using 1.1.7.  Will I notice much
difference?

You should notice nothing at all.  Given that 1.1.7 has been out for all
of 2 days, I'm suprised they're using it.  I'm also suprised that they
aren't using one of the existing IDE's, which are all running at 1.1.5
or later.

> Is there any real chance that 1.1.7 might be something that will come
> soon?

If soon means in the next couple weeks, probably not.

> Is there anything I need to install beyond lang/jdk to make it
> work here on FreeBSD?

Nothing at all (except for understanding how it all works).  I've been
using the variation incantaions on FreeBSD for *real* paying works for
over a year now, which is why I'm the 'point of contact' and release
engineer for the JDK/FreeBSD builds.

I moved our Solaris boxes over the JDK1.1.7, and I've not had any
problems with interactions between the programs on both boxes.

Nate