Date:      Wed, 29 Jan 2020 14:51:31 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>, freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>,  Emmanuel Vadot <manu@bidouilliste.net>, Robert Clausecker <fuz@fuz.su>,  freebsd-arch <freebsd-arch@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: arm64 as Tier 1 for FreeBSD 13

On Wed, Jan 29, 2020 at 2:42 PM Rodney W. Grimes <
freebsd-rwg@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net> wrote:

> I have no problem if some want to ignore RPI*, but as Poul says
> FreeBSD does so at its own peril.  If its a man power thing lets
> find it or make it!

There's two issues. One is manpower. There's not too many people that want
to hack on it. The second is information: it can be tricky to get from
Broadcom which slows down any efforts to make progress. These two issues
are interrelated... When it's hard to help out, it's easier to do other
things. Ian is a prime example: he's had enough with the crappy docs on
what he views as a crappy design so he chooses to spend his time elsewhere.
This is his choice, of course. Others have tried to get USB or networking
going on RPi4 have run into similar issues and got frustrated and quit out
of frustration and inability to get the technical data they need in a form
that's useful. So it's easier to work on other ARM and ARM64 platforms
where data is available, vendors are more forthcoming and it's easier to
get things done w/o all the stress and hassle. It's no different than the
bazillion drivers we've written, or not written, over the years based on
vendor support (or its lack).

So, absent some large FreeBSD user of RPi that can use their business
relationships with Raspberry / Broadcom to reduce the friction AND can fund
people to improve the port, the situation isn't likely to improve. I sure
wish this wasn't the current state of affairs, but sadly it is.

Warner