Date:      Mon, 28 Apr 1997 07:44:13 -0400
From:      Richard Hwang <rhwang@bigpanda.com>
To:        Robert Morris <rtm@viaweb.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CMD RAID arrays?

> Can you tell me whether any of the CMD RAID controllers actually work
> with FreeBSD? This is with reference to your posting in February
> describing their Daytona product.

CMD's Daytona does indeed work with FreeBSD, since it is a
SCSI-to-SCSI controller.

The only FreeBSD issue you need to be aware of is that if you do
decide to use partitions, you need to make a little change to the
kernel to enable multiple LUN probing.  This is because FreeBSD views
partitions as being on separate LUNs.

See http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/handbook122.html#257 for more
details on enabling multiple LUN probing.

FYI, I didn't add the struct as suggested in the handbook.  I just
changed the line in /sys/scsi/scsiconf.c:

maybe_more = 0; /* by default only check 1 lun */

to this:

maybe_more = 1; /* by default check all luns (time for a coffee break!) */

Obviously, it will take longer to boot (and may not even work for you;
YMMV), but that's ok with me, since it gives me the time I need to run
out and find a decent cup of cappucino.  Not bad for a
single-character-change hack.  :)

---
Richard Hwang                                            rhwang@bigpanda.com
Big Panda House Consulting                           http://www.bigpanda.com