Date:      Mon, 12 Jul 2010 13:47:17 -0400
From:      Ken Smith <kensmith@buffalo.edu>
To:        "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, re@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: tools/ directory is missing on recent install media.

--=-AohJINwaGNN3xW8aCbyZ

On Mon, 2010-07-12 at 17:38 +0200, Julian H. Stacey wrote:
> Hi Hackers,
> FreeBSD install media has lost the tools/ directory from recent CDs & DVD=
s:
>=20
> Quoting
>   http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/install-pre.h=
tml
> 	... to resize your partitions and make space for FreeBSD. The
> 	tools directory on the CDROM contains two free software
> 	tools which can carry out this task, namely FIPS and PResizer
> 	PartitionMagic and GParted are known to work on NTFS. GParted
> 	is available on a number of Live CD Linux distributions,
> 	such as SystemRescueCD.
>=20
> There is no tools/ directory on recent FreeBSD CDROM disc1.iso & dvd1.iso
>     ( or on memstick.img, no suprise as recent )
>     Maybe an older disc1.iso ran out of room,
>     & tools/ got dropped & forgotten, not replaced for next release ?

It wasn't a size issue that made me stop bothering to put the tools/
directory on, it was more an issue of the tools just not being current
any more and not having an idea of what to replace them with.  At
the point I stopped putting them on the media the world had gotten
to the point any tools that can't handle NTFS were useless.

> re@,=20
> 	I suggest consider regularising [scripts ?] to avoid
> 	inconsistent prepend of .../FreeBSD-... to some image names.

FreeBSD- is consistently prepended to all the images that have been
generated past the date we decided to start prepending FreeBSD- to
the image names.  Images that were generated before we decided
to start prepending FreeBSD- to the image names consistently do
not have FreeBSD- prepended to them...  :-)

> dvd1.iso script author,
> 	Please consider adding tools/
> 	We might currently be losing some new people, tempted to
> 	try BSD, who need to first download a Linux image with disk
> 	partition shrinker (to run under Linux or MS, whatever),
> 	who then may think:
> 		 "Why now dowload a BSD DVD too, Let's continue
> 		 installing with this Linux DVD in the drive."

It won't happen in time for 8.1 but I'll try to invest some time
in digging up reasonable replacements for the tools that had been
there.  Thanks for passing on your friend's suggestion.

--=20
                                                Ken Smith
- From there to here, from here to      |       kensmith@buffalo.edu
  there, funny things are everywhere.   |