Date:      Sun, 09 Apr 2023 20:41:01 +1000
From:      Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
To:        Olivier <Olivier.Nicole@cs.ait.ac.th>,Chris Hill <chris@monochrome.org>
Cc:        roberthuff@rcn.com,questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: seeking recommendation: UPS for Freebsd

On 9 April 2023 2:12:23 pm AEST, Olivier <Olivier=2ENicole@cs=2Eait=2Eac=2E=
th> wrote:

 > >> 	I have an older APC UPS (BackUPS RS 1500) that after years of=20
 > >> excellent service _may_ need to be replaced=2E
 > >
 > > Do check the batteries first=2E The lead-acid gel cells used in UPSes
 > > don't last forever, and will need to be replaced now and then=2E If y=
our
 > > UPS is 10-ish years old or more, I'd suspect the batteries first=2E

 > From experience, my batteries usually last 2 to 3 years in APC=2E That =
may
 > be due to cheap quality=2E=2E=2E So I know I have to change the batteri=
es
 > on a
 > regular basis, to the point I have the batterie installation date on a
 > sticker on the front of the UPS's so I can know when I need to change
 > them=2E

We've had a couple of smaller Eatons, and found decent quality 12V gel cel=
ls tend to last 3 to 5 years, depending on how often they're discharged tow=
ard exhausion - maybe a dozen times some years, in a rural high-thunderstor=
m area=2E

Even if rarely discharged I'd be surprised to get 10 years from a gel batt=
ery, apart from large stationary (e=2Eg=2E solar) setups=2E

When we remember, we do an annual measurement exhaustion test, to be sure=
=2E

cheers, Ian