Date:      Fri, 03 Mar 2000 18:58:30 +0100
From:      Thomas <thomas.salmon@tu-clausthal.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   installing ports, XFree in current 4.0

Hi,
To come quickly to the point. I am new to FreeBSD/Unix  and have just
installed the current 4.0 version of the program (the 4.0 20002XX image
from the local ftp-mirror)
The program does install and boots afterwards without errors. But
everything in relation with Xfree does not work Besides having chosen
and setup(only question-answer-mode) XFree during the installation
process, later on in the installation, when installing the XFree
dependent software, there was the warning, that XFree wasn't found for
each package.
Beyond that, I`m not able to install any port or package.
I change in the respective directory (where the makefile is resident)
and type "make install" . The result is a bunch of  "error code 1"
announcements. After that I've tried to set some variables in "make"
like DISTDIR=/where/I/put/the/tarfiles (as described in the handbook)
resulting the same. I have to mention that the cdrom is mounted and
readable, that doesn't seem to be the problem. After reading the
manpages of "make" and "install", I decided to ask for help. Can You
help?

thank's for your attention...waiting for response
Thomas Salmon